To most animal lovers out there, the African gray parrot has to be one of the most charming parrots. Known for its terrific character, the African gray parrot is additionally one of the most well-liked species. Why do you ask? Well, it’s for maintaining an Associate in the Nursing admirable combination of high intelligence and extraordinary charm.
Are you one of the people that were instantly drawn to the sweetness of the African gray parrot? Well, it’s a requirement that you simply offer yourself with enough info regarding these wonderful birds.
According to a taxonomy, their square measure primarily 2 taxonomic categories of the African gray parrot. They may be found in today’s pet trade: the Congo African gray and therefore the Timneh African gray. The former type is described for being slightly larger than the latter with bright, red tail feathers. The Timneh, on the opposite hand, is overall darker than the Congo African.
African Gray Parrot Natures and Traits
When it comes to their characteristic natures, there are significant differences between the two. Timnehs are considered to be more laid back and less likely to feather picking and other neurotic behaviors. Compared to the Congo African gray.
Usually, African Gray parrots live from 25 to 50 years. This depends on the history of the bird, lifestyle, stress factors, diseases, and other aspects that may affect its lifespan. When it comes to intelligence, this parrot species is considered as an extremely intelligent bird because of its ability. Which is to talk or imitate different sounds. Also, for having a novel capability for golf stroke their words and sounds into the correct context.
Despite its admirable traits, their square measure includes some behavior problems. With these problems, you’ve got to agitate once you possess an Associate in Nursing African gray parrot. Because of their intellect, this bird can be quite demanding. You need to spend a lot of time in giving social contact and for mental stimulation. A lot of patience and also consideration should be provided for these birds. These fellows are also known for biting and feather picking when they get bored or depressed.
Here are some square measures, some DOs, and DON’Ts in taking care of your African gray parrot…
DOs & DON’Ts for Parrot Care:
- Make sure that you know the species of your parrot. Having a good understanding of them will provide you with better guidelines in taking care of it.
- Check that that you simply offer your African gray with the fundamentals it desires. Like a giant and safe cage, a good and healthy diet, a wide range of toys, a dependable T-stand. Such as a gymnasium or play stand, scale, and a commercial carrier.
- If possible, take time off to talk to anyone about your pet. This includes the breeders and pet shop assistants who have dealt with your parrot. Talking to them will give you an idea of how the bird has been treated in the past.
- Make sure that you objectively evaluate if the African Grey Parrot is compatible with your living space and lifestyle. They can be pretty hard pets that are in need of your attention. Additionally, a clean environment that will keep them healthy and satisfied.
- As a result of its quite hard nature, an African Grey parrot is not suitable for everyone. Make sure that you think a thousand times before purchasing it. Have a written warranty or an assurance of its age if possible.
- Never, ever purchase an Associate in Nursing African gray parrot on impulse. The result of it will be quite difficult.
- Don’t keep questions to yourself if you want to know something about the bird.
- Don’t forget to make a list before you go to the breeder. This way, you won’t miss out on important information you need to know about taking care of your pet. In this case, this is African Grey Parrot care we’re talking about.